In today’s business world, maintaining an online presence is vital for business. In fact, the quality of your website can considerably impact your business. Perhaps you already agree with this, and you’re ready to take the next step and set up a website for your company. The next thing to consider is what type of website you should invest in. Should you invest in a custom website or go with a template? We’ll list out the pros and cons of each.
Why Your Company Needs A Website
Before we launch into the differences, there are a couple of reasons a website is essential for your business or online store.
First, having a high-quality website increases credibility, even if you have a storefront location. The chances are that you aren’t the only company offering the same or similar services. Thus, what sets you apart?
A way to stand out has a killer website that comes across as professional and polished. Without a website, potential customers may be forced to question your legitimacy. It’s essential to make a great first impression by having a great website. A website signals you’re a real business that takes business seriously.
A website is also a great way to show off your brand. Showcasing your brand to potential customers is one of the most important things you can do! The website helps you establish who you are, what you represent, and what you offer. By showing these things clearly, it’s more likely customers will buy from you.
Another benefit is that bolstering your online presence is always a plus, especially for organic traffic. Once your website is up and running, and your SEO is optimized, you can appear on Google search results.
Showing up in the search results means that when people search for a product or service you sell, there is a chance your site will show up. Thus, this allows you the opportunity to increase your customer base dramatically!
These are only a few benefits to having a website! But, hopefully, by now, you get the picture – that having a website is important.
Let’s jump into the different types of websites you should consider.
What Type Of Website Is Best For You?
Now that you have decided to take this next step, where do you go from here? There are two main options to consider. Should you consider a custom-made website or go with a website template?
Website Templates: Pros & Cons
Let’s dive into the details of website templates.
What Is A Website Template?
What exactly is a “website template“? A website template is a pre-designed resource that shows the structure for the layout and design of a website. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of free and paid website templates available by various providers.
In theory, a website template allows the design (usually someone who is not a professional web designer) to plug content into a developed framework easily. Most templates allow you to drag and drop data in simply. Business owners can usually plug in what they want without having any background in design or CSS coding.
The Pros Of Website Templates
- Templates usually take less time to develop into a fully working site.
- Upfront, the cost is cheaper than a custom-built site.
- A template can be created without knowing any CSS coding or HTML.
The Cons of Website Templates
There are lots of free or cheaper website builders/templates offered by many companies. However, just because they may be more affordable doesn’t necessarily mean they are worth it.
- Many other businesses and competitors could be using the same template as you, which could mean your site won’t stand out.
- You are limited on how much you can customize your websites. What you see is usually what you get.
- Some templates are not built in a way that is search engine friendly.
- Templates may not work well on all browsers.
- Builders may not have a sound support system if something goes wrong on the backend.
- Any images or copy you input must be adapted to fit in predetermined areas on the template.
In short, if you are on a tight budget, don’t need a unique site, don’t know any CSS coding of HTML, and need a site up quickly, then a template could be an excellent fit for you. However, if you need a site with customized features, or more advanced formatting, you may need to consider a custom-built site.
Custom-Built Websites: Pros & Cons
Customized websites are websites built by a professional web designer. They can be created from scratch and uniquely fitted and crafted to your needs.
Designs are unlimited! You can do anything you want on your site when it is created by a designer. Let’s dive into the details.
The Pros of Custom-Built Websites
- Your website will be unique, incorporate your company’s branding, and be based on the specific needs of your business.
- A Content Management System (CMS) can also be built into your website, making it easier for you to manage the content on the site.
- The site will be built engine-friendly.
- Customized websites are adaptable to your business needs.
- The website will work on all browsers and be user-friendly and responsive.
- The site will be built to your specifications and perform precisely how you want it to.
- The website will grow with your business. Developers and graphic designers can easily install new features as needed to improve the user experience.
- The website designer or company that built your site will be there for you to support your site as needed. You won’t have to worry about having unresolved site issues!
The Cons of Custom-Built Websites
- The process of creating a custom website can take much longer than a template website.
- Custom sites can be more expensive than templates.
As you can see, if you need a website that fits your needs and has a bit more budget, having a custom-built website is a win-win.
Ready To Build Your Website?
Ultimately, the choice between a template or a custom website is up to you! While templates or web builders can seem more straightforward and cheaper, they can often cause business owners who aren’t savvy with web design to waste days figuring out the template and ultimately costing a lot of time. However, they can be the more affordable option. On the other hand, you can pay a bit more money for a custom-built website that is perfectly crafted uniquely for your business and needs.
If you are ready to hire a web designer, feel free to contact us today.
At Elevare, we offer professional website design services, including web development and web hosting. Not sure where to start with your website? Our professional designers will help you from inception through completion and craft you the site of your dreams.
Do you need other marketing services, too? We also offer email marketing, social media marketing, and more.
Contact us today for your free consultation.